Friday, October 23, 2009

Staycationing is Fun!

A staycation is a brilliant modern travel plan in which you stay where you live (or, we'll say, within two hours away), but act as if you are new in town.

Reasons to Go on a Staycation:

- No expensive train / plane tickets
- No exhaustive packing / keeping track of luggage
- Travel time is not compressed [it takes no time at all to return because you're still where you were before!]
- No major time agreements have to be made [you don't have to worry about if other people will want to spend time on what you want to do]
- You do not encounter tourist-trap prices or 'scams'

Going on a staycation is an inexpensive way to live it up where you live.  You can drop all of your priorities and enjoy yourself for as long as you have in which to do so.  You could even stay in bed and watch TV all weekend, if that's what you like to do.  It's the best and easiest way in which to do nothing in the truest sense of the phrase.

My travels thus far have been to far-off places (Florence, Cinque Terre, Munich, Prague and Vienna).  Each of these places have required spendy transportation and paying attention to details in order to make it back to school on time.  There are rules for such vacations that you must remember and maintain.

Not so with a staycation.

This weekend I am going on my own staycation.  Some friends and I are going to explore the towns around Paderno Del Grappa because up to now I have been 'too busy,' disinterested, or (some other lame excuse).  I have a four-day weekend at my disposal, so now there are no excuses; it's time to rock and roll.

This weekend there are no time constraints and no headaches except for what to do next.  I have been to Asolo and Crespano, but only briefly because I had pressing matters that confined my time and attention.  I could not fully appreciate the towns because I was in a rush.  This weekend I could return to both, and I could even explore entirely new towns like Bassano and Vicenza.  I want to make a return trip to Venice (a less-than-one-hour straight-shot once you get to the train station in nearby Bassano), but we'll see if that happens.

It is exciting to have the freedom to make choices from minute to minute and fly by the seat of your pants.  There's no time like the present to think of things you might or might not do.

No comments:

Post a Comment